Friday, May 11, 2007

A tough day

Today was my busiest day yet - I saw at least 17 kids (it may have been more), including 3 new ones (which take a while).

We have a new counsellor, and the growing pains are a little challenging on these busy days. She's not got the hang of translating, and with nearly each sentance, I have to ask alternately "could you translate that into Jula" or "what did she say?" Sometimes the mothers understand a little French so can reply to my questions directly... but I sure can't understand the response! (Other than a few key words). She also doesn't know how to do the counselling. However, she's really nice and I'm sure things will come together.

The other reason it was tough though was that we had our first death over night so the first thing I saw on coming in was her aunt, waiting to give me the news. A child I knew would likely die; her family had her baptised on the weekend because of her grave state. But it is still just devastating for this family, who had already lost the mother and father of the child, and are now losing her. Tomorrow, Fatu and I will go to pay our respects - we just couldn't today, too busy. One always wonders if there wasn't something else we could have done. But it would have had to have been done months before I met her, I think.

Tonight, I'm off to listen to some balafone music in one of the quartier populaire's with Suzanne's Malian friend, Siddiqui. We've been planning this for 2 months but for various reasons it kept getting put off. But after such a day, I think listening to a little local music will be great.

Have a safe, fun and relaxing weekend

No comments: