Sunday, August 20, 2006

House hunting

BLOG Draft

We have spent the last few days looking for houses around Bobo Dioulasso. With the dust in the air in the dry season, even houses that have sat empty for just a few months look long abandoned. However, I think we have homes for everyone.

I’ve been waffling on what to do. One of the couples has offered that we could share a place. But their chosen house is only 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms. So it might be a little crowded with all my various visitors. Also, then we wouldn’t have offices, etc. Also, I’ve lived along for so long that in some ways I’m not a very good roommate, because I always feel like I’m imposing on the others by being in their space. (it’s a hangup I have). And yet on the other hand, do I really want to live by myself here, where it’s a hassle to go out at night?

The house I have my eye on as 4 bedrooms & 5 bathrooms, and has a bathtub. It also has a decent sized kitchen and is well maintained – better than many we looked at. The garden has a lovely mango tree, though is otherwise isn’t much to look at – it will be a project to work on. Also, it’s the furthest house from everything. That’s the main disadvantage. But, none of the houses are within walking distance of anything, so we will all need some form of transport.

I am a little worried about the social isolation here. I am sure that with time, we will make other friends (and its just me being my usual worrying self). But of the 4 PAC docs, 2 have their spouses here and 1 is bringing a Malian village with her – they may arrive as soon as next week. (She lived in that village for 2.5 years – really, its just a family that is coming, not the entire village).

On the streets of Bobo, I must say that the sellers of things are certainly persistant though I’ve learned that if you refuse to make eye contact or look at whatever they have, often they will go away. I’ve sort of befriended one persistent little guy named Mohammed; he finds me whenever I am downtown. He always tries to sell postcards or necklaces. So far, I have 2 cards and a necklace. But, he may be a good little guy to help out in finding things around town etc.

Our temporary house has a lovely sitting area, and we have some breakfast foods and tea and are going to get some food in the market today so we can start cooking at home.

Thank you to those who have emailed – I am going to try to start responding to emails, now that I can hook my own computer up to the internet cafĂ©’s network – so I can work on them at home.

My address:
01 BP 1243
Bobo Dioulasso
BURKINA FASO

And my phone number is +226-76-12-61-61 – with a calling card its not too expensive to call, and I’m going to try to call people once and a while.

Take care!!
Laura

1 comment:

yvrsailor said...

Tough call - the social benefits of sharing a house vs the independence of going solo

Just be safe :)