Sunday, August 13, 2006

adventures in Bobo Dioulasso

I wrote a long entry a couple days ago, but as I hit"publish", the computer ate it... painstakingly typed on a French keyboard with an extremely slow connection, I was too discouraged to try again... but now I'm back in Ouagadougou at the Sofitel, awaiting arrival of the other docs. What a difference from the fanciest hotel in Bobo!! So, after a refreshing swim and hot shower with good water pressure and a passable cafe au lait, I'm prepared to start typing again.

Its been a great few days, and I'm very happy to be here; though the task ahead seems even more daunting now that I'm in Burkina. Its obviously very poor, and the beaurocracy will be formidable.

David (my colleague, on of the "vice presidents" of BIPAI) and I have spent the last few days getting oriented to Bobo Dioulasso. We've arranged for a short term rental house for all 6 of us to stay in while we look for permanent housing (David will still stay in the hotel). Its a 5 bedroom, 4 bathroom place, laid out much like our place in Lima, with a central area with sitting room / dining room and on each side, bedrooms. But there is a lovely patio with a tiare hanging over, too.

I will welcome the day when people recognize me as someone who lives there, for right now, we're SO conspicous - everyone with something to sell comes running over to us, people try to draw us into their stores, its non stop. There are lots of young boys trying to sell things, from fruit to postcards to packets of kleenex; very few girls. The streets are lined with men hanging about, some trying to sell stuff. But you definitely get the sense that most of the girls and women are at home doing the work there.

A lovely young man named Aziz has been helping us look for places. There are lots of places, but most are in disrepair and have clearly stood empty for some time; some are downright uninhabitable. But I have my eye on a cute little 3 bedroom place that has a lovely rooftop patio. Not much garden, so I'd have to get some pots to grow some tomotoes etc. But its in relatively good repair and the former tenants have just moved out. If I take it, will put some photos up.

Last night we took Aziz & his wife & daughter to Bobo's best restaurant to thank them for all the help. A funny thing happened there... the restaurant is run by nuns (remniscent of Govinda's) and one of the nuns had a familiar face... and a disinctly polynesian outfit on. Would you believe that there is a Futunian nun from Noumea working in Bobo!!! I didn't have time to ask if she was cousins with my friends, but you never know. How crazy is that!

Anyhow, I'm going to cut it short here. I could go on indefinitely!
Take care & please keep in touch
Laura

No comments: