Sunday, May 18, 2008

Rainy season

Its rainy season here in Uganda, and this morning lived up to that. Rain fell in sheets, and at first there was still sun shining on the leaves giving a surreal look. In the afternoon the clouds disappear and it becomes sunny and hot again.

Everything is so green and lush here, with spectacular flowers throughout the resort; beds full of birds of paradise, and amazing varieties of hibiscus. Right now its still the tail end of the dry season in Cape Town so its brown and dry there.

People are gathering for the keystone conference, which starts later today. When I am registering for these things I’m always enthusiastic but when the time comes I am reminded that I find networking really stressful. I don’t know anyone here, so I don’t have that to fall back to. Ah well. Another AFLO.

To have a break from the artificiality of the resort, I went for a great (but warm) walk through the town of Munyonyo. Its really not a big town, but there is a church, a health centre, a primary school and even a pre-school. There are only a handful of shops with no one selling anything by the side of the road. I only saw a couple wandering merchants – one with bednets, and another with bowls. Small kids waved and shouted “mzungu, mzungu, how are you” just like I remembered from my previous trip to Uganda. Some seemed frightened of me, others were excited to say hello – but no one came up to me, they all stayed in their yards and shouted and waved.

No comments: