Tuesday, May 13, 2008

back to the origins

The first African country I ever visited was Uganda, back when I was a resident – several lifetimes ago. Tonight, I returned, and some things seemed familiar but so much has changed – here in Uganda and even more in my perspective.

I was excited to be back to somewhere warm (Cape Town is really cold) and, well, African. The drive to the resort took about 1.5 hours, through just crazy (very slow!!) traffic, with overloaded matatus (minivan shared taxis, each PACKED full of people), boda bodas (motorcycle and bicycle taxis) and trucks. By the sides of the road or in one-room businesses just beside the road, in the dark, life was going on in full swing – people sitting around kerosene lanterns drinking or eating, women walking by carrying big buckets on their head and a baby on their back, hair stylists, pool tables, etc etc… it was such a neat snapshot of suburban society here.

The resort where the conference will be was not what I expected though – its just HUGE and really fancy. But some things still don’t work as you expect despite the fancy surroundings to act as a reality check.

The other fellow in the shuttle asked me what my ‘area of research’ is and I floundered a bit – I need to come up with a 2 or 3 word statement to describe my “area”. Child survival is just way to broad, but I don’t have any other slick idea.

Anyhow, I’ll be conferencing for a few days then on to Mulago Hospital to meet some of our Ugandan pediatrics colleagues.

Cheers

No comments: