Thursday, May 08, 2008

another new home

Somehow, the flight between Western Canada and Africa never seems to get easier; Vancouver to Cape Town feels really quite long. But I have survived another journey, and am excited for this new adventure.

What a difference from the last time I lived overseas. Sea Point, the neighbourhood I live in, could really be anywhere in North America or Europe. The first couple days I had trouble with my internet access so I walked along the beach to an internet cafĂ© with free wireless that wouldn’t be out of place in Vancouver. At Pick & Pay, the local grocery store around the corner from my house, one can get everything, from breakfast cereal to all sorts of pre-packaged food.

I did feel like I was in Africa this afternoon when I staged a sit-in at the car dealership that is trying to fix our car, and I heard the list of excuses of why the car isn’t ready. I extracted a loaner car out of them… I definitely feel a bit nervous driving on the left after several years though.

South Africa is such a study in contrasts. I feel like I will need to spend time doing some things like home visits with the hospice program to really get a feel for the South Africa that most of the citizens experience. Its odd, a bit uncomfortable, to be in this rich enclave yet knowing that most of the people live in extreme poverty.

I’m not sure exactly how often I will be writing in the blog; much of what I will be doing is computer work – writing a proposal. That process won’t be interesting to write about in a blog! But as I do learn things, and have new experiences I will try to keep it up to date.

Take care & keep in touch!

No comments: