Saturday, April 28, 2007

Un peu de repos

This week has been our busiest yet. In fact, with one more day to go in April, the month has been record breaking for us. We now have 115 patients registered (about half are Nacro's) and had 143 patient encounters (that is, seperate visits). After our days in clinic, I spent the afternoons and evenings getting ready for a regional pediatric HIV care planning meeting that Suzanne is going to. We were only invited to the meeting 1 week ahead of time, and I suddenly had to sign over everything that I've been doing to Suzanne in such a way that she could represent us as well as possible, and seek the answers to a number of issues. In having to compile everything I've done in the last 6 months, I realized I've actually done a lot of work. Sometimes it feels I have little to show for it. But I do think we've made important progress.

Even though I know that Suzanne will do a good job, it was really hard to let that stuff go; I'm really invested in it and wanted to follow it through to the end.

Over 40% of our kids are moderately to severely malnourished (that is, less than 2 SD below the mean weight for age) and a third are stunted (less than 2 SD below the mean height for age) and a third are wasted (less than 2 SD below the mean weight for height). Some of them, its their illness(es). But for some, its that the family doesn't have enough to eat. In either case, we have nothing to give them but advice. All the ARVs in the world won't solve that problem. But what to do? We are waiting for the Clinton Foundation donation which was promised to be bringing nutritional supplements... but it seems to be totally stalled.

One of the things I struggle with the most is the feeling of guilt. Every day we are face to face with how much privilege we have, and how little people here have. On my salary (which is 1/4 - 1/3 of what I would be making at home), I am incredibly wealthy here. Several of our patients are trying to feed multiple children, pay school fees, buy medicines and pay for doctors visits all on less than $1 / day. If the adults are to get treatment, it costs $10 / month plus the lab testing. Thankfully pediatric HIV care is provided for free.

But what about the little boy I saw yesterday who has some sort of congenital heart defect (not HIV)? How do I tell his family that the only way he'll get better is with surgery that, even if it were available, wouldn't be affordable?

What about all the families who spend the last of their money on the hospital fee for a hospitalization and then have no money for medicine? (everything must be paid for up front).

And what about the one legged elderly gentleman that asks me for money every time I go to the post office. And the young paraplegic man in a wheelchair who also lurks by the post office, and alternately asks me for money and to buy his postcards. And the two mothers with toddler twins who beg outside the grocery store. And the two mentally ill people who live under the tree on the corner near the hospital with their hair matted, often having battles with their voices.

I don't have an answer; those faces haunt me.
But when the economy is so weak, and there is corruption, and lack of motivation amongst most health care workers (at every level) and lack of productivity due to malaria and HIV etc, and an inhospitable climate that has marginal food growing conditions, and the country is landlocked.... its hard not to despair sometimes.

Other times I think, I am working on it. We are making a difference, even if its only to a few children. Me and my colleagues (including Pr Nacro) are doing the best that we can, working long hours and trying to give high quality care to the HIV infected & exposed kids. Sometimes we can even visibly help them; this week I treated a girl for really severe thrush and cold sores and it was wonderful to see her back in followup feeling better. It is a sort of instant gratification that helps make the job easier.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know it's easy to feel guilty for being a have as opposed to a have-not, but you are at least out there, doing something to help. You're awesome!