Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Attack of the termites

For a moment this evening I thought I was back in Noumea. I looked around my dining room and there were dozens of termites flying around, knocking off their wings and falling to the ground wiggling. ugh. (In my extremely termite infested apartment in Noumea, they would fly up into the hanging paper lampshades, knock their wings off and then fall onto my kitchen table). They're small, only about 1-1.5cm long, and a mm or so wide. But they make up for their small size by the volume. I guess its with the mango rains that they're coming out. At night now, outside you can see thousands hovering around any light source. I don't know how they get it, given my place is totally screened. Its just one of those things about living in a hot climate.

I'm in one of those frustrating cycles... i can't sleep at a reasonable hour because I'm worried about how much work I have to do... and then am exhausted in the day when I am trying to work. So its 12:40am and I'm still wide awake, and I know that the 6am alarm and the hectic clinic, followed by meetings, and a number of administrative tasks will make tomorrow a long, long day. And that just makes the insomnia worse!

I'm glad we're busy in clinic though. And over the next little while I think I will be passing a number of my jobs onto other people which should make things a little easier. Although I'm loathe to do so, being really interested in most of what I've taken on as responsibilities.

No comments: