Sunday, September 03, 2006

moving preparations

Well, my lease is signed, my deposit has been given, and the house is almost ready to go… except the electricity.  I made the application to have the electricity turned on, but if you don’t do something to “help the process along” then you will be without electricity a very long time.  So, Guingane, the helper of my landlord, has been doing what needs to be done to turn on the electricity as that is all that is standing between me and my new home.  I fear we may have to embark on the same process to get the phone hooked up.  I may be meeting with someone today to interview her for the job of helping me with laundry, cleaning, cooking – but above all laundry.  Hand washing my clothes is another non-strength of mine!  Families often have a couple people to help with those things (one cook, one cleaner, one laundry person) but as I am one person living alone, I certainly don’t need all that!  If someone would just go to the market for me, I’d be all set…

Dana & I went shopping Saturday, to get some of the necessities of life… cutlery, bowls, a water filter, buckets.  Most of it we bought in a fixed price store, but the buckets I had to bargain for in the market.  So far, bargaining is not my strength.  My friends tell me you just have to know how much you’re willing to pay… but how on earth do you know what a fair price for things are? That’s what I can never sort out.  I do know that the price is always inflated for us, “les blancs”.  We certainly attract more attention in groups than singly.

The internet café is becoming our home away from home.  The staff all know us, and are becoming sources of advice for whats going on around town.  We each spend an hour or more most days there… its become a big part of our daily routine, the trek into town with our computers to connect to the outside world.  We are all really looking forward to being able to check email from home.  That may be a month away though!

I’m learning that although I generally avoided bringing white clothes here, beige pants & skirts aren’t a good idea here.  Many days we get caught out in the rain, and with the rain comes this pervasive red mud that is really tough to wash out of beige or light coloured clothes.  So for those coming to visit, bring darker coloured or patterned clothes that won’t show red mud. 

Well, I think I’ll sign off there – not much interesting to say, as things are pretty routine right now.  But next week we’ll be going to Ouaga and hopefully after that we’ll get to start work.  Take care & keep in touch.

 

No comments: