Tuesday, September 26, 2006

bureacracy & poverty


Sometimes I can forget that I’m living in the 3rd poorest country in the world; my house is quite nice (this is the living room & dining room) and some things things start to seem so normal, like the rutted dirt roads, the mud brick houses in the “district populaire”, the chaos of the market.

And other times its unavoidable; the skinny, stunted kids with clothes that are disintegrating on their backs, the beggars, the desperate merchants.

We had to fire our driver yesterday (the one who went with us to Ouaga), and he was so sad, and so disappointed. And I know he really needed the work. So, it was really hard on me to say, I’m sorry but we gave you many, many chances – but he wasn’t honest towards us; he lied about the condition of the car on Saturday (it had broken down again), and then failed to either pick us up or call us and let us know.

I’m one step closer to having a land line – I actually have a phone number though it won’t be installed until later this week. In theory. So, if anyone has an urge to call me here in Burkina Faso, my land line number will be +226-20-98-52-83 (226 is the country code). (And for those who’ve forgotten – my snail mail address is 01 BP 1243, Bobo Dioulasso, Burkina Faso). Internet at home will hopefully be in the next 2-3 weeks (so then I can make / receive calls on Skype)... however, despite people telling us it is easy, our chart has to be transferred from one department to another, then we have to pay a deposit, then they will do the next step, whatever that is. In the meantime, there are not enough "cartes" (some crucial piece of equipment for us to get DSL at home) in the country, they are sitting in Customs in Ouaga. They should be arriving next week. Inshallah.

No comments: