Tuesday, March 27, 2007

not much to report

The last week has been rather mundane in a nice sort of way - going to the hospital, doing sign over rounds, seeing a few patients. Home for lunch & siesta & then work on other projects for the evening. I LOVE being able to have a siesta... and I can work much longer days than if I just struggled through in this heat (its HOT now). Generally I'm working 7:30-12:30 and 2-7 or thereabouts.

We have a new group of interns. They're actually quite a bit better than the last group; they manage to get more of the relevant information on history and physical exam. Although all of the interns we've worked with so far seem to be happy with a differential diagnosis with 2 things on it. No matter what the problem.... sometimes its MUCH more complex than that!! So one of my goals is to try to get them to think more broadly and realize there are diagnoses other than malaria, meningitis, pneumonia and prematurity. For example, a child with fever and jaundice gets a differential diagnosis of "malaria with jaundice, or viral hepatitis"... they are happy once they've thought of the most obvious possibility.

Its HOT now, even I (with my aversion to air conditioners and cold air) am using my air conditioner daily; at 7:15am this am as I walked into work, I was sweaty... this will continue for at least another 6-8 weeks. ugh.

Anyhow, take care & keep in touch
Laura

1 comment:

yvrsailor said...

Glad to see some things don't change - your love of Siesta :)