Sunday, November 05, 2006

A weekend off: Lake Malawi


We’ve just returned from a really, really wonderful weekend away at Mumbo Island, on Lake Malawi. “We” is Dana, Allison, Leah and myself. It was a 4 hour drive down to the resort at Cape MacLear on the southern end of the long, thin lake. The water was incredibly blue, with lots of jacaranda in bloom and bougainvilleas everywhere, bright with red, orange and pink flowers. Despite being the hottest time of year here in Malawi, its cooler than at home in Burkina, so we are enjoying the relatively temperate weather (30C during the day).

The 10-km boat ride took about an hour, and as we approached, we could scarcely believe our eyes, a small islet with 5 permanent tents (tents with a thatched roof over top for shade and rain protection, and on the main island hiking trails and a white sand beach with kayaks, snorkel gear, and the main lodge.

We spent the last few days languidly moving from snorkeling to kayak trips around the island, to sunset cruises (well, cruise may be an exaggeration – 10 people in a 15 foot wooden boat with an outboard motor). The snorkeling was better than I expected for a freshwater lake – lots of brightly coloured chiclids (a type of freshwater fish), and the chance to watch cormorants swimming underwater. Leah and I kayaked around the island in about 45 minutes. The meals were lovely.

All in all, it was a wonderful break – good to get some space from the annoyances of work, to help work on keeping some perspective. I feel totally rejuvenated (though I got a terrible cold yesterday). Made me remember how important it is to keep some fun in my life. Since moving to Burkina Faso, I have done very few fun things, besides a little reading, knitting, a concert and designing my garden. Not enough activities that totally separate me from the work. I will work on doing that more!

Anyhow, please do keep in touch – the emails / comments from folks really are important to me, they encourage and sustain me during the lonely times, of which there are quite a few.

Take care
With love
Laura

No comments: