Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Ouagadougou again


I had brief weekend at home to check out the garden and eat very many cucumbers... the photo is my gardener, Moussa - who has provided all the labour for this gardening project - in between the cucumbers and the basil. Against the wall are the tomatoes, and in the foreground the zucchini. I'm really pleased and I think Moussa and I get along well. I'm looking forward to being at home for a while after this current trip!

Then, it was back to Ouaga... I tried to fly but the flight was cancelled (another mechanical problem) so ended up taking the bus. Its not as fun to be in Ouaga on my own, though I've still had a few really good meals and I've enjoyed the internet access. I head back to Bobo Wednesday.

I've had productive meetings with UNICEF, and some Ministry of Health people about training sessions. We are hoping to fairly rapidly train the physicians who do primary care at regional hospitals to look after kids on ARVs. Right now, they're pretty uncomfortable starting kids on treatment so no kids get started.

At home, my colleagues have been working hard on putting together a proposal for our transitional clinic; BIPAI will help us find the resources we need to get things going. We've divided the tasks to try to be more efficient.

The weather seems cooler now, especially the early mornings - though part of that is just that it is much less humid. And our perspective on what is "hot" is changing... getting off the plane in Bobo the other day, it seemed refreshingly cool... so it was a surprise to hear the pilot say that it was 26C. The rainy season has ended, so we won't expect any more rain until June.

Take care, Laura.

No comments: