Sunday, October 22, 2006

Thoughts on a stressful week

As an ID fellow, we tend to have a lot of time for each patient; we carefully think through each potential diagnosis, how to test for it, the possible treatments. That pace actually suits me quite well; I really like having the time to think carefully through a decision or a patient. I like having as much information as possible. I'm not one for snap decisions...

The style of medicine here is anything but that. Instead, its rushing through the patients, rapid fire. Trying to get through them all before I’m abandoned by nurse and/or intern because I’m taking too long (we round from 8:30 – 12:00; any later and the nurse & intern become mutinous). Struggling with the medical jargon in French, and unable to speak with most of the parents directly. Knowing what the recommendations are, but unable to do them because of “lack of resources” – or lack of will on the part of the hospital. Not knowing the system well enough to get things done. If investigations are done at all – and often the orders are just ignored – they happen the next day.

Some of the kids, so sick when they come in, get better quickly and go home. Actually, that’s most of the kids – its malaria season, so there are at least 10 admissions / night of various forms of severe malaria. Most of them get better quickly with IV quinine. That is so nice to see! But then other kids don’t have malaria… its hard to get other investigations done to sort out what they have. Those kids, I would love to have the time to work through carefully; but there is so little time and so many kids. And sometimes the parents have no money to buy the needed medicines (usually antibiotics).

I know that I will get used to it, and the language get easier, and I will get to know the hospital. Its hard to be patient for those things to happen though! There was nothing else this week besides work, Jula lessons and sleep. No energy for anything else!

However, we did go to a concert at the French Cultural Center Friday night, which was fun – it was really good to get out and do something social.

This weekend is a long weekend here, the end of Ramadan. And then, on Tuesday we head to Ouaga – by plane this time!! Hopefully no misadventures like our last trip. And then on to Dakar for a couple days and Malawi for 2 weeks. We’ll have a long weekend in the middle to do some exploring in Malawi. By the time we come back, my garden will be full of tomatoes, cucumbers, and zucchini as they are all flowering now.

1 comment:

Beachcomber said...

Oooh! Malawi, eh? My friend Krista lived there before going on to Tanzania. I think I gave you her email address? You may want to check with her about good places to explore.

I know you'll get through this adjustment phase. It'll eventually become easier for you to navigate the system there. You've done this all before!!