Wednesday, October 18, 2006

the Pediatrics Ward

OK, so now I am really working. I'm exhausted, and very stressed. (warning... much jargon ahead... I apologize for the medical entry... )

The peds department is organized into 4 wards - Urgences (emergency / "intensive care"), over 3, under 3 and neonates. The doctor who is supposed to be on Over 3 is on Mat leave - so there is no doctor (that's where we come in). And the intern is sick - though yesterday & the day before I shanghaiied another intern into working with me. Today I was on my own. I have never seen so many patients in one day in my life... and in a foreign language (as it turns out, there are VERY many french medical words that I don't know... words that are part of my every day vocab in English....), and the parents rarely speak French, and the nurse doesn't seem to like being a translator.... I think I saw about 45 inpatients.

It is a frusterating ordeal mostly... hard to get the tests done that I think are absolultely essential ... things like malaria smears, blood counts, etc. So, I'm making decisions based on a partial history, physical exam (but no otoscope) and usually no investigations. Sometimes you prescribe antibiotics and the parents don't buy them - so the kid goes without. Other times, they buy them but for unclear reasons, they aren't administered - or they're administered but not recorded. Sometimes the pharmacy dispenses a different medication than is ordered. It is so exhausting that I have more sympathy for the MDs that never work on changing anything.

Some of the things that I want to do - based on WHO recommendations - are not whats done here, so the nurse doesn't like them. Things like, giving de-worming meds to anemic kids and giving a second drug with the artemesinin compounds. Some recommendations that are proven to improve child survival are not available - like zinc tablets for kids with diarrhea. (And I haven't even seen any kids with severe malnutrition on the over 3 ward, so haven't tackled that yet).

The doctor who works in "Urgences" said to Dana & Suzanne - thank God the kids mostly look after themselves, because we sure can't look after them. Its sadly true. There is such a shortage of personel, tests, drugs, and willingness to get things done. Its really hard.

Anyhow, its sure to get easier with time.

No comments: